Assessing the General Education Mathematics
Courses at a Liberal Arts College for Women
Appendix A: Our new goals for the course
Learning goals for Developmental Mathematics:
- Be able to work with integers, fractions, decimals,
percents, ratio, proportions and their applications.
- Be able to solve equations that involve integers,
fractions, decimals and percent.
- Develop a sense of what is a variable and apply
this concept to problem solving.
- Be able to apply the problem-solving process to
- Be able to use the rectangular coordinate system
and graph linear equations.
Learning goals for Mathematics for
the Liberal Arts:
- Be able to construct a logical argument based on
rules of inference and to develop strategies for solving quantitative
- Be able to make sense of numbers that a person
encounters in the real world.
- Be able to interpret statistical information.
- Be able to develop an understanding of basic probability
relative to real world situations.
- Be able to interpret mathematical models of real
- Appreciate the role of mathematics in the real
world, in particular, the use of mathematics in politics and business.