The purpose of this program is to give departments a chance to hear about opportunities that might interest faculty and students. Liaisons can receive anywhere from 5 to 20 emails a year, depending on what is relevant to their region and department. Here are some of the types of communications the Liaison may expect to receive from the MAA:
- Information about regional programs, meetings, conferences and workshops for both colleagues and students (regional undergraduate math conferences, professional development workshops, etc.).
- Calls for nominations for teaching awards, both national and regional (e.g., the Section's Distinguished Teaching Award).
- Requests for feedback on proposed new MAA programs, particularly in the areas of electronic services and professional development. (These provide liaisons with chance to have a say in what kinds of programs are developed for mathematics faculty.)
- Invitations to suggest names of speakers or organizers for Section programs, and to make nominations for Section committees and offices.
- Requests for department news to be included in Section newsletters.
MAA/Department Liaisons are asked to:
- Encourage their contacts to join the Association and participate in sectional and national activities.
- Post flyers and forward to their contacts information received from the MAA, highlighting items of special interest.
- Encourage student participation in the Putnam and Mathematical Modeling competitions.
- Facilitate the formation of student chapters and help to keep them active.
- Facilitate the communication of news concerning their contacts to the section’s newsletter editor.
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from the MAA for feedback about current programs and help shaping future directions and new programs.
- Make suggestions to the Committee on MAA/Department Liaisons about ways to improve the liaisons program.