You are here

Carriage House Meeting Space

 

Welcome

The Carriage House at the Mathematical Association of America offers modern meeting space in a classic setting. Located just two blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro Station, the Carriage House is easily within walking distance of the Dupont Circle's many restaurants and hotels. With three rooms to choose from, it is the ideal setting for small to mid-size meetings, workshops, and conferences.

The MAA Carriage House is located behind the MAA headquarters building. It stands alone as an entirely separate building, with its own entrance. The address is 1781 Church Street NW, Washington DC 20036. Please call for an appointment to take a tour.

Reserve Space Today

To reserve the Carriage House for your next meeting, complete the Meeting Request Form, and return the form by email (maach@maa.org) or mail (Mathematical Association of America; Attn: Carriage House; 1529 18th St NW; Washington, DC 20036).

About the Carriage House

The MAA received a $3 million donation from Paul and Virginia Halmos to establish a Mathematical Sciences Conference Center in Washington, DC. The Association has restored the exterior to its former charm and renovated the interior completely. Please click on the thumbnails below to see more pictures of the building.

Photos

For more information about Paul and Virginia Halmos and their gift to the MAA, please see "Major Donation Announced for New MAA Conference Center" by G.L. Alexanderson in the February 2003 FOCUS.

History of the Carriage House

The Carriage House belonged to the residents at 1529 18th Street, and was built in 1892. It is older than the five-story townhouse where the MAA headquarters are currently located, which was completed in 1903. The MAA Carriage House would have been used by the owners as a livery stable and to house the family carriage, though little else is known about its history today. There are huge sliding doors that are characteristic of a carriage house as the entrance for horses and carriage. Iron rings can still be seen on an adjacent building, which were used to tie up horses. Perhaps the carriage house would have also been used as living quarters for a coachman, as was typical for the time period.

Dummy View - NOT TO BE DELETED