August 26, 2008
After twelve years of distinguished service, Martha Siegel will be leaving the position of Secretary of the Association in Janaury 2010. The Search Committee for MAA Secretary, chaired by former President and Secretary, Gerald L. Alexanderson, seeks suggestions and nominations of candidates for this office. The many critical roles that the Secretary fills require that candidates have previous experience in MAA governance, projects, and/or programs. The position will begin as Secretary-elect in Fall 2009 after election by the Board of Governors.
The Secretary of the MAA is responsible for all official correspondence, keeps the seal of the Association, assists the President in matters of governance and in the operation of all business meetings of the MAA, meetings of the Board of Governors, and meetings of the Executive Committee. The Secretary is one of the five Officers of the MAA and is a member of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee.
In particular, responsibilities and duties include, but are not restricted to, the following actions:
• Prepare the agenda for two meetings per year of the Board of Governors and four meetings per year of the Executive Committee; the Secretary requests and assembles all reports and other documents to be presented at the meetings. At the meetings, the Secretary assists the President in presenting agenda items.
• Keep the minutes of all meetings of the Executive Committee, the Board of Governors, and Business Meetings of the Association. These minutes become the official record of the governance of the organization and have legal significance. Report on these meetings in MAA FOCUS and/or electronically.
• Oversee elections and votes by the general membership and by the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee.
• Oversee governance by organizing the meetings and business of the Committee on Committees and appointments to councils, committees, editorial boards, and other assignments.
• Manage all matters relating to MAA prizes and awards.
• Monitor policies and practices of the Association, including relationships with other organizations. The Secretary is responsible for fulfilling requirements of incorporation of the Association in the State of Illinois. Monitor the bylaws of the Association and suggest revisions as needed.
• Answer historical questions and provide information on precedents and policies since the Secretary maintains all minutes dating back to the founding of the organization.
• Serve ex officio on some MAA committees and some joint committees with other organizations.
• Represent the MAA as needed at meetings, events, and to other organizations.
• Keep a MAA office and supervise a part-time assistant.
• Compensation for release time, summer support, and other technical support are negotiable.
Send a letter of interest in the position addressing specific qualifications for the position and a resume to: Secretary Search Committee, c/o Marlesa Adams, Mathematical Association of America, 1529 18th Street N.W., Washington, DC 20036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations should be sent directly to Professor Gerald L. Alexanderson [email@example.com]. To guarantee consideration applications should be received no later than January 15, 2009.
Applications from individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged. Additional information about the MAA may be found on MAA’s web site: www.maa.org. AA/EOE.