A New Approach to Intermediate and College Algebra - This workshop is full. Registration is now closed.
Don Small and Erick Hofacker
June 4 – 8, 2012
Registration Fee: $225 per person/$350 per team of two ($300 and $500 respectively for registrations received after April 23, 2012)
More than ninety-nine percent of the students in Intermediate Algebra go into the humanities, social sciences, and arts. This workshop will focus on the needs of these students, as well as those who go into mathematics. During the workshop, participants will:
- explore algebra from the perspective of the MAA recommendations
- discuss ways to develop students' mathematical reasoning skills and to help students become effective learners
- learn how to incorporate a modeling perspective into the curriculum and use modeling-based problems as an emphasis in a course
- utilize new forms of technology, such as clickers, to motivate communication, representation, reasoning and assessment
- create materials, problems and assessment items that can be used in a redesigned course
Questions about PREP? Contact Olga Dixon at 202-319-8498 or email@example.com.