LESSON PLAN I
Increase students' knowledge of the geographic and historical context in which place value
numeration was introduced in West Europe.
Students will be able to:
- recognize a map of the Mediterranean and locate Algeria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, North Africa, Pisa, Sicily,
- add and subtract using an abacus;
- read and write Roman numerals;
- relate the simplicity of addition and subtraction rules to the idea of place value.
- Provide students with blank maps of the Mediterranean and have them label locations.
- Add and subtract with a simple 4 wire abacus.
- Add and subtract some Roman numerals and compare to place value computation.
- Explain why adding digits gives the sum and subtracting digits gives the difference of numbers in base ten.
Explain how "carrying" works in addition and "borrowing" works in subtraction.
NEXT LESSON PLAN